15 December 2012

Barry Hayles is back to aid Truro City's escape bid

Source: This is Cornwall

Truro City player manager Lee Hodges has expressed his delight at signing veteran striker Barry Hayles on the eve of today's Blue Square Bet South home clash against Maidenhead United (3pm).

The 40-year-old former Plymouth Argyle striker is set to return to the Truro squad after a spell at Southern League Premier side St Albans City.

Hodges said: "Barry is coming back to help us out. It's a massive boost and has really lifted me and I am sure all the fans and the players will be the same once they get to hear Baz is back. He will come straight into the squad and hopefully will have a big part to play in the game."

Try as he might, Hodges cannot play down the significance of today's match against Maidenhead.
Transfer-embargoed Truro are bottom of the 22-team Conference South table following a ten-point deduction for entering administration. Third-from-bottom Maidenhead are on 18 points, ten ahead of Truro.

A recent upturn in City form – including last week's eye-catching goalless draw at fourth placed Boreham Wood – has got more Cornish football fans talking about Truro's "great escape" bid.

Today's match could prove pivotal if it goes ahead, weather-permitting. Allied to back-to-back home wins before a recent 3-0 loss to promotion favourites Dover, Truro's form has delighted 39-year-old central defender Hodges.

On the eve of today's big game, Hodges said: "We kicked off the month with the 2-0 home win over Tonbridge, had the loss to Dover and then last week's goalless draw at Boreham Wood last Saturday.

"The performances have been really pleasing and what has really given me hope is that in two of those games we have kept two clean sheets.

"We had to battle for the win against Tonbridge, deserved more against Dover and I think the result was just about right at Tonbridge last week, although there would have been few arguments if we had won."

Hodges – who waits on the fitness of target man Kieffer Moore but welcomes back defender Calron Hall – said: "I could try and play down the importance of the game but I have got to admit ever since Tuesday all I have been able to do is think about this Maidenhead game. Whichever way you look at it – and I keep looking at the league table – it is a massive game for us.

"There are a so many 'ifs' involved in this one and all the clichés come rolling out but I keep thinking if we were to get three points then it closes the gap down to seven points."

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am looking for a club to train with.

    My name is Luke Sherman, I'm 23, and have played for Charlton and Bristol Rovers.

    I play as a central midfielder, so if Truro want to have a look at me email is lukesherman100@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Luke. Thanks for the message. I have passed your details along the line to Lee Hodges, the Manager.
    Best regards

    Steve Rogers.

    ReplyDelete