07 April 2012

Win today and we're all but safe, says Lee Hodges

Source ThisIsCornwall

Lee Hodges believes that a win over second from bottom Havant & Waterlooville this afternoon will all but ensure Truro City's place in next season's Blue Square Bet Conference South.

City are 15th, seven points above the bottom three relegation zone, with five games left to play, and Hodges said: "It's another big game for us – win, and I think that just about does enough to make sure we are in this league again next season.

"Results went for us in the week – Hampton lost at 2-1 Boreham Wood and Eastbourne lost 1-0 at home to Dartford, so they stay below us.

"We have picked up a couple of good results in the past two weeks.

"It was important that we beat Thurrock. That was a must-win game for us. Last week we drew at Staines and that was important. Now we have our third big game in two weeks. This is not must-win, but a win would mean we would go to Dorchester on Monday a lot more relaxed."

Hodges is buoyed by a recent upturn in results and form.

He said: "We have taken our time to start defending how I would have liked us to defend all season, but in the last few games I have been encouraged by how well the lads have defended, from front to back. Things that I wanted to see happen are happening.

"If you defend well, then other things fall into place.

"We have always got goals in us – it's something we have always had, ever since I started here. That has never been a problem."

City's resurgence has dove-tailed with the arrival of experienced Scottish striker Martin Gritton.

The former Stockport County striker – who grew up in Cornwall and went on to play for Plymouth
Argyle and Torquay United – has lifted City spirits.

It has also given Hodges the sort of selection headache he had been hoping for all season.
Today that headache is eased slightly as midfielder Marcus Martin is suspended for two matches.

Hodges said: "Marcus misses this game and Dorchester on Monday, but there will still be a few lads disappointed not to start.

"I have got a few things to sort out with the way I would like to play. I have 15 to select from and the Dorchester game on Monday.

"I need to be sensible and utilise the squad. Basically the four who don't start today will come in on Monday, win, lose or draw.

"My main area to think about is how to go up front and I have five strikers to choose from and all of them want to play, want to start. It's great. I wish I had this sort of headache all season long."

No comments:

Post a Comment